English Grammar: Pronouns Study Guide
Lesson 1 – Kinds of Pronouns
Directions: Read each of the following sentences. Underline each pronoun that appears in the sentence.
Then decide whether the pronoun is a personal pronoun, an interrogative pronoun, an indefinite pronoun,
or a relative pronoun.
1. Gordon was surprised when Angela invited him to visit her in Caracas.
2. Who do you think will win the Oscar
3. If Luis wants to finish painting the garage by tomorrow, he will have to convince someone to help
4. The inventor Thomas Edison is the historical figure whom I admire most.
5. Joanne’s grandmother asked her what she wanted to do that evening.
Lesson 2 – Pronoun Case
Directions: In each of the following sentences, one or more personal pronouns is needed. Using clues from
the meaning of the sentence, decide whether the pronoun should be in the subjective, objective, or pos-
sessive case. Then select the correct pronoun from the choices given.
1. When Audrey’s car broke down, Carlos lent (her , she) another.
2. A group tour is not a good vacation choice for (us, we), because (us, we) prefer traveling indepen-
3. Is this bicycle (you, yours)?
4. By unanimous vote, the judges decided that the best debater on the team was (he, him).
5. Mr. and Mrs. Nkrume have invited (I, me) to stay for two weeks in (their , theirs) home in Ke
Lesson 3 – Using Pronoun Cases Correctly
Directions: In each of the following sentences, one or more pronouns is needed. Using clues from t
meaning of the sentence, decide whether the pronoun should be in the subjective or objective case
select the correct pronoun from the choices given.
1. No one in my town knows as much about local history as (I, me).
2. (Who, Whom) is the architect (who, whom) designed St. Paul’s Cathedral in London?
3. When the tennis match was over, Alvin realized that winning the match had mattered more
opponent than (he, him).
4. Helen of Troy was the famous beauty over (who, whom) the Greeks and the Trojans fought
5. The two couples (who, whom) will be sharing the bungalow by the lake are the Savios and